by Ally Mathews
Genre: YA, contemporary romance
Synopsis: Isabelle Oster has dreamed of being a prima ballerina her entire life, so when the only male dancer backs out of the fall production, she’s devastated. Without a partner, she has no hope of earning a spot with the prestigious Ballet Americana company. Until hot jock Garret practicing stretches in one of the studios gives Izzy an idea, and she whips out her phone. But does she really want this badly enough to resort to blackmail?
All-state tight end Garret Mitchell will do anything to get a college football scholarship. Even taking ballet, which surprisingly isn’t so bad, because it means he gets to be up close and personal with the gorgeous Goth girl Izzy while learning moves to increase his flexibility. But Izzy needs him to perform with her for the Ballet Americana spot, and he draws the line at getting on stage. Especially wearing tights.
This book took me a total of four hours to read. Maybe. I don’t actually know how long (I tried to read through a World Series game… bad idea) so I stayed up late to finish it. I loved reading about Garret’s transformation from football star solely concerned about his scholarship, to caring about Izzy and her ballet performance.
I also loved Izzy’s faux goth style. Her fake nose rings and ear rings. Her purple hair. The complete opposite of what you imagine a ballerina to look like.
What TOTALLY worked for me:
- The football/ballerina romance *swoon*
- The conflict between what Garret wants vs what Izzy wants.
- The way Garret gets his whole team to help clean out the salvage yard… that was awesome.
What didn’t quite work for me:
- The best friend. Izzy hates Garret because of something her best friend told her. I didn’t feel like it stood and the whole thing made me like the best friend less.
- Garret’s dad…just because he’s the worst. So I guess that means he was well written 🙂
What do you think? Want to read the book for yourself? Check it out here:
- What is Izzy’s favorite song on her Cure cds?
Izzy’s favorite song by The Cure is Just Like Heaven.
- What is Garrett’s favorite pump up song for football?
Linkin Park’s Bleed it Out.
- Does Izzy like to be goth? Or is it just to get back at her father?
This is a quote from the book where Izzy explains it to Garret, “At first, I did it just to piss off my father, but I liked how people would dismiss me with a glance just because of how I looked, without knowing anything else about me. It’s a way to hide without actually having to hide if that makes sense.”
- If Garrett and Izzy were desserts, what would they be?
Garret would be a huge brownie ice cream sundae, and Izzy would be an almond lace cookie.
- Do Garrett and Izzy end up in the same place-ish after high school?
We don’t know yet, but I’m writing a proposal for two more books in the series, so maybe we’ll find out in the last book.
Win a free eBook copy of Offsetting Penalties!
How to enter:
- Subscribe to my website here
- Comment on this post (here or on the FB post) about why you can’t wait to read this book
- Tweet about the book or the giveaway and tag me in the tweet (@brookiecowles)
- Share my post on Facebook. You can find the post HERE.
Each tweet, share, or comment is an extra entry. A winner will be picked on November 17th!